NSW had a higher proportion of debtors in the population than the national average in 2013–14. There was one debtor per 539 adults in NSW in 2013–14, compared with 546 adults in Australia.
The postcodes with the highest proportion of debtors in the adult population in NSW were:
- 2302 (1 debtor per 75 adults) in Newcastle and Lake Macquarie
- 2842 (1 debtor per 117 adults) in Far West and Orana
- 2406 (1 debtor per 129 adults) in New England and North West.
There were 186 postcodes in NSW with a higher proportion of debtors in the adult population than the state average. Most of these (60%) were outside the capital city (in Rest of NSW).
The postcodes with the highest number of debtors in 2013–14 were:
- 2560 (183 debtors) in Sydney – Outer South West
- 2770 (170 debtors) in Sydney – Blacktown
- 2259 (141 debtors) in Central Coast.
In all of these postcodes, the ratio of debtors to the adult population was higher than the NSW average. They are all in Greater Sydney.
For the full report see: